Tuesday 20 August 2024

A Rich Picture of my Teaching Prior to Making Changes

I have developed a rich picture of my teaching prior to making changes. 

As I went along with my inquiry, I utilised simple strategies and research evidence to design a solution to my profiled problem.

  • Worked with the whole class and produced a piece of sample writing, which the learners referred to when they did their writing. I attached the sample piece of writing to my plan (digital copy) and also printed it in A4 size (hard copy) and gave it out to the learners. This enabled the learners to refer back whenever they needed it while doing their writing.

  • I learned how to teach using The Code and The Code and Dictations + Blended Review by Liz Kane

  • Towards the end of Term 2, I also learned how to teach my learners using the Heggerty book. 

  • RTLit: Amanda Walsh and Kate Pavarno have been constantly supporting me by giving me feedback and assisting and supervising me.

  • We had parent-teacher interviews - those parents who showed up, I was able to explain and talk them through their children producing at least 3 pieces of writing in a week. The writing needs to be only one page and the learners have their own choice of topics. Some examples of the topic choices given were: My Family, My Sister’s Birthday, and Day at the Park, to name a few. 

  • I was also able to explain to some parents about the writing curriculum levels and how it works.

  • Learners also have access to multimodal learning. As a school, in term 3, we focused on flipped learning. Flipped learning is a methodology that helps teachers to prioritize active learning during class time by assigning students lecture materials and presentations to be viewed at home or outside of class (Lesley University, n.d.). 

  • In class, I do have a special whiteboard where learners, if they can not spell any particular word, ask others to spell the word for them. The learners who can spell go and write on the whiteboard. 

  • I have also started using the writing process in class. Most of my learners are not that familiar with the process of writing yet. The writing process includes:

  • Brainstorming/planning

  • Drafting

  • Selfcheck/Editing

  • Peer Conference

  • Teacher Conference

  • Publishing/Sharing/Blogging

The writing process is where the students will be able to break writing into manageable chunks and focus on producing quality material. Studies show that students who learn the writing process score better on state writing tests than those who receive only specific instruction in the skills assessed on the test. This type of authentic writing produces lifelong learners and allows students to apply their writing skills to all subjects (ReadWriteThink, n.d.). According to NWEA, 2022, we can help nurture young writers by sharing the purpose of the writing process with them, and by helping them understand that they are not driving directly from point A to point B. There are many other points of interest along the way, and the writing process helps us see the value in the journey, not just the destination.



Most of the practices, I will carry on utilising in my writing practice with my learners.

Reference:

Lesley University. (n.d.). An introduction to flipped learning. Lesley University. https://lesley.edu/article/an-introduction-to-flipped-learning


NWEA. (2022, March 7). Understanding the writing process and how it can help your students. NWEA. https://www.nwea.org/blog/2022/understanding-the-writing-process-and-how-it-can-help-your-students/


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Code & Heggerty Phonemic Awareness

On 29 August, I had my second observation by Mrs Walsh. Below is the feedback attached.  I was so impressed with my learners' performanc...